Friday, October 14, 2011

Sperm Web!

I had read about how male tarantulas use sperm webs, but I've never witnessed any of my specimens build or use one... until today!

Brachypelma albopilosum Sperm WebSeñor Fuzzy Britches using his Sperm Web
First Stage

You can see the white dot above his abdomen ~ that is the sperm. He also seemed to be preparing his pedipalps for it. I even have video for you!



Once he was done setting out his sperm and preparing his pedipalps, he went to the outside of the tent web.

Brachypelma albopilosum Sperm WebSeñor Fuzzy Britches using his Sperm Web
Second Stage

More video!



Once he was finished filling his pedipalps, he destroyed the tent web / sperm web.

Brachypelma albopilosum Sperm WebSeñor Fuzzy Britches
after destroying his sperm web.

I could watch / photograph / video my spiders all day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by our web and leaving us a comment! We read & respond to all comments.